The Northwest Geriatric Education Center provides many educational opportunities that are free of charge and open to all interested individuals.
Current offerings include:
- Online Geriatric Healthcare Lectures: An online archive of on-demand video presentations, available free of charge. NWGEC registration, which allows us to compile reports for our funding agency, will give you access to the online lectures and related resources.
- Annual Geriatric Telehealth Lecture Series: An annual 10-week lecture series broadcast in real time to health centers in Washington, Wyoming and Alaska, allows rural and urban providers to participate together from their place of work. Information on this year's series and registration is available online.
2013 Lecture Series: This is a link to the schedule for the Spring 2013 (April through June) lectures, which are now in progress and will soon be available via links on the Geriatric Healthcare Lectures page. The Winter 2013 lectures are now all online and noted as "NEW" on the same page.
- CNE/CE Credits Available: Continuing education contact hours are available for each Winter's Annual Series. In addition, the NWGEC's Geriatric Healthcare Lectures form the basis for the Geriatric Health Promotion CNE course through UW Continuing Nursing Education.
Academic Course Credit Available: Each Annual Series is also available to enrolled UW students (including students at the Bothell and Tacoma campuses) for academic credit through the School of Nursing.
- Health Literacy Training: A complete course in health literacy, designed for health care providers. NWGEC registration, which allows us to compile reports for our funding agency, will give you access to the complete the Health Literacy Training course and its related resources.
- Interdisciplinary Patient Cases: A collection of case studies authored by NWGEC faculty to model and teach effective interdisciplinary health care for common geriatric patient visits.
- Interdisciplinary Clinical Experiences: Students pursuing graduate education in healthcare are invited to participate in clerkships in geriatric and long term care fields.
- Other GEC Courses: Links to courses and trainings offered by other GECs nationwide.
For more information, please call the NWGEC at (206) 616-4276 or email Heather Wicklein Sanchez.